Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feelin Hot Hot Hot!!!

Well, its official, its HOT!!! Normally this wouldn't bother me at all, I mean there is the beach, pools, lakes, water parks, but with a child that is post op with stitches that can't get wet, there isn't much to do but stay inside. Having an active 4 yr old, this task isn't easy!
Lucas had his 1 yr check up today, he now weights 19.4lbs (he was 19.5 the day of his surgery) so we are pretty excited about this. His PCP totally shocked me when he whipped out the WS charts explaining to me that eventhough he can't chart Lucas in the computer on the WS chart he will keep the printout on him so that they can accurately track his progress, so he showed me how Lucas excells on the WS charts for weight, height, and head circumfrance, and also how he is only in the 7th percentile for weight on the "normal" chart, and in the 57th percentile for length on the "normal" chart. We then went to the part I dislike the most: milestone questions, now I know that due to the WS he is delayed but it wasen't until he asked me what Lucas can and can't do I realized how behind he is. Basically he said that in a "normal" scenerio, Lucas is hitting milestones a typical 5mos old would hit and to be honest that felt like a slap in the face, he wasen't mean about it, I just didn't realize how behind he was since I've only been focasing on the fact that he has gone 15days with no meds for constipation, and that he is finally sitting in his walker/jumper again since surgery, and he is using his hands more, and watching people more, and yelling and being vocal more. The Dr did say that he is happy with the progress he has made, I guess since I've never thought about the actual # he is behind it never phased me til now.
After the Dr's appt we went to have a picnic at Whites Park in Concord with my MIL, I wasen't totally happy about this since typically my MIL and I don't get along, and she does quite often suffer from what I call "open mouth, insert foot syndrome" but hay ya never know, she could suprise me!!!!! She didn't. While having the picnic and Dylan is running wild on the playground I explained to my MIL's sister Susan that the public pool there is closed due to the fact that there was a drowning at another pool in Concord yesterday so they closed them all lastnight. I also explained that I didn't have alot of the details due to not hearing the entire story on the news but that I know that it was a little girl and I wasen't sure if she was still alive or not. Well, my MIL responds with "well hopefully she didn't because who knows what problems she'll have after that...." When I tell you that I was in total shock that that kinda comment came out of this womens mouth is an understatement, I guess I should have totally expected it given the syndrome I've decided she has (yeah know the open mouth insert foot!) and I totally consider myself lucky that Lucas sofar has had mild issues compared to most, but I honestly wanted to just turn around and ask her how many issues Lucas would need to have til she felt that way about him, I mean how stupid can 1 person be????????? Ok, now that the shock of that is over, she then asks me what size clothes I'm buying for Lucas, I explain 18-24 months depending on what it is (summer/fall/winter clothes) she just looked at me with her mouth open and was like well, I bought him a 6-9 outfit for his birthday, I thought for sure it would fit him, (and then goes) the last time I asked you that is the size you said he was wearing, I looked at her and was like, the last time you asked me what size clothes he was wearing, there was still snow on the ground! Alot has changed since then. It was on that note that I decided to leave the picnic, and was then followed by my MIL and her sister as they invited Dylan for ice cream without even asking me (wasen't an issue that they wanted to go for ice cream, but they should have atleast asked) so I followed them to an ice cream place, and we had ice cream, all was good, and that was the end of that.
That was pretty much our entire day. I'll post again tomorrow, hopefully we are going to a waterpark in Derry.

1 comment:

  1. hi my name is amy, a ws mom. I blog every so often, what a wonderful set a boys you have. Keep strong, get rest! My daughter is 4, and as time goes on either things get easier, or you get so used to it you don't notice how tired you are!
    xoxo
    amy

    ReplyDelete